Looking to get an oversize permit in California? We can help. Here are the answers to the questions we get the most.
1. How long are oversize permits valid in California?
7 travel days.
2. What are the legal dimensions for loads in California?
The legal limits in California can vary based on city or county, but in general, the limits are as follows:
- Gross Weight: 80,000 lbs.
- Width: 8’6″
- Height: 14′
- Length 40′ for single unit, 53′ for semi-trailer on designated highways, 65′ overall length on all other roads (various restrictions apply based on national network and related kingpin requirements)
3. What are the permit limits for loads in California?
The routine issue permit limits in California are as follows:
- Gross Weight: Varies based on axle spacings
- Length: Typically up to 135′, though permits for longer loads are available
- Width: Typically up to 15′ (16′ for mobile homes), though permits for wider loads are available
- Height: Typically up to 17′ but depends on clearance; a minimum of 3″ clearance is required
4. Is continuous travel allowed for oversize permits in California?
Travel is permitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Travel is restricted with a pilot car on New Year’s Day, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
5. What are the travel restrictions for oversize loads?
Travel restrictions vary depending on location and load size.
For loads over 10′ wide, travel is not allowed Monday through Friday in curfew areas:
- Los Angeles area: 6:00-9:00am and 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Sacramento area: 7:00-9:00am and 4:00-6:00pm
- San Diego area: 7:00-9:00am and 4:00-6:00pm
- San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge: 6:30-9:00am to 3:30pm-6:30pm
- San Francisco area: 7:00-9:00a and 4:00-6:00pm
6. What is a superload in California?
In California, loads over 15′ wide, 17′ high or 135′ long are considered superloads.
7. Do I need an escort for my route in California?
Whether or not an escort is needed-and how many-depends on the size and route.
If you still have questions or would like to leave the heavy lifting (pun intended) to us and your vehicle, give us a call at (800) 359-9407 or send us an email.